Job Title: Biomaterials Scientist I & II
Reports To: Analytical Laboratory Director
Job Status: Full-Time
Department: Electrospinning Group
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Nanoscience Analytical is looking to expand its team by filling both Biomaterials Scientists I and II roles. In either role you will have the opportunity to work with our clients for the preparation of polymer based medical devices. We work across diverse areas in the preparation of standalone implantable devices for regenerative medicine and drug delivery platforms. Utilizing cutting edge electrospinning technology for the fabrication of devices we work with clients from the initial experimental design through device fabrication. Our suite of analytical techniques including Scanning Electron Microscopes and surface analysis techniques enables for quick experimental iterations to drive project success.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare samples, conduct experiments, and communicate results to laboratory management
- Engage with customers to determine analytical needs and communicate experimental outcomes
- Preparation of written and oral reports summarizing project results
- Ensure all laboratory equipment is operated properly and kept in good working condition
- Work with vendors and suppliers to ensure all equipment and materials are operational and workflows are not interrupted
- Conduct experiments and record results in adherence to quality standards
- Prepare standard operating procedures for laboratory analysis and equipment operation
- Serve as an in-house expert and trainer for operation of assigned laboratory equipment
- Collaborate with laboratory management on project experimental design and management
- Understanding quality management system guidelines and proper implementation of said guidelines
- Interact with customers to assess analytical needs and communicate results
- Responsible for on time and accurate reporting of analysis to customers
Education / Experience / Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Scientist II position: Advanced Degree in Chemistry, Physics, or Engineering. Minimum requirements:
- Masters with 4 – 6 years of relevant industry experience
- PhD with 0 – 3 years of relevant industry experience
- Scientist I position: B.S. or M.S. Degree in Chemistry, Physics, or Engineering.
- Experience working in a wet chemistry laboratory and familiarity with best practices for working with and handling chemicals
- Understanding of standard testing tools, instruments and calibration.
- Hands-on experience with wet laboratory equipment and skills.
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Detail oriented with a demonstrated acumen for critical thinking and problem solving
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
Typical Working Conditions
Positions in the laboratory at Nanoscience Analytical may require working in locations or performing activities that, regardless of best efforts, may be described as potentially dangerous. These working conditions may be located in areas of chemical exposure and emitted radiation. Although not typical, the laboratory environments may contain hazardous exposure to fumes, dust, and other toxic substances. It is the responsibility of the employee to understand the hazards, wear proper PPE, and exercise extreme caution while working in such situations. Position may require periods of standing, carrying up to 50 lbs., and walking between labs and equipment.