Job Title: Analytical Materials Scientist
Reports To: Analytical Laboratory Director
Job Status: Full-Time
Department: Analytical Services
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Nanoscience Analytical is looking to expand its team by hiring an Analytical Materials Scientist. The focus of this role is the preparation and analysis of materials that are specified by Nanoscience Analytical customers. As a contract research and analysis laboratory no two projects are alike. The scientist will utilize a suite of available instrumentation for the preparation of nanomaterials, conduct analysis with electron microscopes, and assess surface properties with optical and force tensiometers. Routine interaction with customers and potential customers will require excellent verbal and writing skills, and a friendly, personable demeanor. The ideal candidate for this role will be excited to grow their skill set with nanoscience analytical as we expand our laboratory capabilities and offerings.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare samples, conduct experiments, and communicate results to laboratory management
- Engage with customers to determine analytical needs and communicate experimental outcomes
- Preparation of written and oral reports summarizing project results
- Ensure all laboratory equipment is operated properly and kept in good working condition
- Work with vendors and suppliers to ensure all equipment and materials are operational and workflows are not interrupted
- Conduct experiments and record results in adherence to quality standards
- Prepare standard operating procedures for laboratory analysis and equipment operation
- Serve as an in-house expert and trainer for operation of assigned laboratory equipment
- Collaborate with laboratory management on project experimental design and management
- Understanding quality management system guidelines and proper implementation of said guidelines
- Interact with customers to assess analytical needs and communicate results
- Responsible for on time and accurate reporting of analysis to customers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Experience
- Advanced Degree in Chemistry, Physics, or Engineering with a strong background in Materials Science. Minimum requirements; Masters 4-6years experience; PhD with 0-3 years
- Expertise in electron microscopy techniques including SEM, SEM-EDS
- Familiarity with TEM, CryoEM , in situ TEM, and ion milling is a bonus
- Experience in surface analysis and characterization
- Excellent laboratory skills and familiarity with best practices to ensure safety in the workplace
- Experience in the preparation and characterization of polymeric and inorganic nanomaterials
- Self-motivated with excellent teamwork and collaboration
- Collaborative, team-oriented personality, and acute attention to detail
- A desire to own projects and the deliverables with the drive to ensure completion
- Good verbal communication, organization, presentation, and technical writing skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.