Job Title: Analytical Laboratory Intern
Reports To: Materials Scientist II
Job Status: 15-25 hours/week paid, ASU academic credit may be available
Department: Analytical Services
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Nanoscience Analytical is a small, dynamic contract R&D and analytical laboratory. We work with companies in very diverse fields, including medical devices, energy storage, electronics, automotive, additive manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and many more. An internship at Nanoscience Analytical will expose you to laboratory procedures, use of state of the art analytical instrumentation, method development, nanomaterial fabrication, experiment design theory, and working within a Quality Management System at an ISO9001 certified lab.
Nanoscience Analytical is looking to expand its team by hiring a Laboratory Technician. The focus of this role will be to support the Scientific staff through conducting experiments, recording data, and maintaining the laboratory. This will be an excellent role for an individual looking to gain experience in a Laboratory environment and mentorship from established Scientists. At Nanoscience Analytical we focus on the preparation and analysis of Nanomaterials with a suite of advanced instrumentation. The ideal candidate for this role will be highly motivated to expand their knowledge from the wet chemistry laboratory to highly technical analytical methods in Materials Science.
You will be working alongside PhD scientists with backgrounds in biomaterials, chemistry, material science, and biochemistry. We have a diverse team of scientists and lab technicians at various levels.
The focus of this role will be to support the Scientific staff through conducting experiments, recording data, and maintaining the laboratory. This will be an excellent role for an individual looking to gain experience in a Laboratory environment and mentorship from established Scientists. The ideal candidate for this role will be highly motivated to expand their knowledge from the wet chemistry laboratory to highly technical analytical methods in Materials Science.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct laboratory tests according to equipment specifications and established standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Maintain laboratory, equipment, and tools, in clean, safe, and good conditions
- Generate routine reports on laboratory experiments in adherence to quality standards
- Support scientists for the preparation, execution, and clean-up of experiments
- Prepare chemical solutions and equipment for conducting experiments under the supervision of staff scientists
- Responsible for upkeep of chemical inventory and maintaining documentation
- Collecting, receiving, and labeling all chemicals and samples in the laboratory
- Maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies and resources and communicating ordering needs in a timely manner
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Experience
- Junior or Senior working on a degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering or other relevant field
- Familiarity working in a laboratory environment. Previous experience in a laboratory setting a plus.
- Detail oriented with a demonstrated acumen for critical thinking and problem solving
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a collaborative team